Friday, June 12, 2009

Elizabeth of Austria, Queen of France Gown


Introduction:

Once upon a time, before I was a history teacher, I used to work for the Utah Shakespearean Festival making renaissance gowns. What can I say? I became addicted. Now every year I design and make a gown. Partly because I love sewing them and partly because I love wearing them at Renaissance Fairs.

This year's construction is one of my biggest challenges yet. I intend to recreate the Elizabeth of Austria/ Queen of France gown. I fell in love with the unique bead work- especially the lattice work over the partlet.

Of course the dress does not show the lower portion of the gown, so I used artistic license to make something that I would truly enjoy wearing. I also added a tall hat to the design.

I have several dresses, but I've been wanting to create a winter style dress for a while now. With my design calling for a partlet and a double sleeve, I decided this would be the perfect dress to make for colder Renaissance Fairs- like Minnesota.
In recreating this dress, I will use the base of two patterns:

Simplicity 8881 (yes the infamous "Shakespeare in Love" gown) I like this pattern because of the boned bodice. Renaissance gowns can get bulky at times. This pattern especially the bodice can be made to give the conical look of the Elizabethan period and have minimal bulk.

Simplicity 2589: I've wanted to do a Tudor sleeve for quite some time now. Of course I wanted to keep the puff from the inspiration picture, so I will be adapting the sleeve.

I'm still undecided on the skirt. I prefer a circle skirt on my renaissance gowns. 1) because I like the reduction of bulk. Cartridge pleating can be a huge source of weight gain in the gown department. However, I love the idea of Simplicity 2589's skirt being attached to the bodice. It is more accurate to the actual period than the two piece style.

I will be doing both a neck and wrist ruffs for this gown. My first. In the costume shop, I would always avoid the ruff issue, so this will be new for me. What fun!

Of course I'm excited about the beading. I will actually be outsourcing the larger gemstones in the dress including the necklace and the trim around the neck of the bodice. I need it to be as accurate as possible and I'm not good at setting gemstones. I have decided, however, to recreate the lattice work myself.

The last element to this costume will be the tall hat. I did quite a bit of millinery during my years with the festival, and this is my second hat of this style.

Huge task, over 14 huge elements, six weeks! Here we go!!!!

2 comments:

  1. Wow, Katy! I'm amazed at all the details involved in the sewing process. This blog combines your great writing and sewing skills! You go girl!

    ReplyDelete
  2. My post may have shown up as my daughter, Danielle. So if you don't know who Danielle Jackson is, it is I, Shelly Flake! oops

    ReplyDelete